12:42 PM

Couch potato (and old fogie) for a week

I had possibly the least exciting New Year's Eve in many, many years. My parents and I counted down the new year at 11:09 pm and then I stayed up and read until midnight. When everyone around our house made lots of noise for about 10 minutes and then fireworks went off for another 20 minutes after that, I was perturbed. Wow. What an old lady.

But you know what? It felt great! I didn't have any obligations and I didn't pretend to have an amazing time standing around outside freezing my tush off and proving that I know my numbers backwards as well as forwards.

I have truly enjoyed my time at home; I have been a complete vegetable and occasionally venture out into the real world, of course only to go shopping or meet up with friends. I have watched a movie every day and plan on watching another one today, or at the very least the basketball game (we're 13-0 right now! Go Heels!)

As soon as I get back to San Francisco tomorrow, the speed will be turned to medium-high and then come January 22, it'll be back to insanely fast. That's why I've had no problem whatsoever with all of the intense laziness. The other good thing about this vacation is that I really haven't stuffed myself silly with sweets and the like. Given, who would turn down seconds of home-cooked food? So I have a bit of pudge to work off, but nothing that has proven detrimental to my wardrobe.

Currently, I am "reading" 5 books although some more than others. I have The Time Traveler's Wife and Why Classical Music Still Matters on the front burners, with Running With Scissors, Love in the Time of Cholera, and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance on hold. The first one has me hooked and I've been reading 100 pages in a sitting, easily. The second is very philosophical - one of those books that you can only read 10 pages of before rereading and then mentally chewing it over before putting it down for a breather. I also read The Golden Compass in a few days and was intrigued enough to want to read the other two in the series.

Lastly, I have a new haircut that is not dissimilar to that of Posh Spice's aka Victoria Beckham. It's cute and fairly easy to take care of. Pictures to follow.

My mom and I watched a new version of Jane Eyre that the BBC did. If you like that story, then this is an amazing version, but it takes several liberties that I think work but are not true to the book. It's still 4 hours long, but worth it. I highly recommend it.

That's all for now.

0 comments: