3:38 PM

Going crazy, wanna come?

OH my goodness.

These last few days have been utter chaos. I love it, but I really think my brain is going to explode from time to time.

I am now not kidding that I would really like to add a few hours to the day because I'm discovering that having a part-time job both at school and outside school is insanity. I'm going to have to cut down my hours at W-S because I just can justify cutting down on anything at school, since it's sorta what I want to do for the rest of my life.

That being said, I'm really excited about a few things that have happened over the past two days.
#1 - my new boss at school is uber cool. I'm working for the concert office, so I'm in charge of setting up the stage for recitals, controlling the lights, ushering, unlocking and moving pianos and harpsichords. I get to say no to people and boss others around and carry keys. And as my boss, Seth, pointed out, I'm basically getting paid to listen to music. I get to go hear Chanticleer for free because I'm ushering while even conservatory students have to at least pay $11 and I'm getting paid to be there. Sweet.

#2 - I already have a gig. Playing on a boat. And I get to wear my cute dress that I've been saving for my recital, but since it's black tie, I need something really formal for the event. Did I mention I get paid $70/hour? Because I do. This is through the Music to Go! program that I auditioned for, so the school gets the calls and then they in turn ask the students if they want the job or not. So the school does all the advertising and we get all the rewards. I'm going to be playing trios with a violin and cello. I'm really really pumped! Of course, I told W-S that I had to leave early for an 'unavoidable class conflict'. Which is a half-lie since this really is important to my career and thereby almost like a class for me.


#3 - I got into the Gamelan class that I was waitlisted for. I've always been curious about Javanese music and wanted to play in a gamelan and now I have an opportunity to!

I finally understand why conservatory students never go to class though or do homework. Because in the past two days, I haven't even thought about what homework I have due or what is coming up in class. I've even thought, 'academics?! pssssh' Which is quite a switch from Ms. I Need to Make Straight A's in college. It's just not the most important thing now.

And I don't spend a lot of time at Scrabble. I'm just that good naturally ;)

0 comments: