7:55 PM

A real Saturday

Today actually felt like Saturday. In the life of a waitress and musician, the days usually all blur together and any day off is the weekend. Today I had the day off of both jobs and had so much fun getting everything done that I needed to.

I got my hair dyed and cut yesterday and ended up paying wayyyy more than I expected, but it looks cute and my teacher gave me a couple free lessons, so I think it all evens out. I just won't be going back any time soon - I hope with this color I won't have to worry about roots. I've been trying to think of a way to describe it and the best I can come up with is that it's the color of cherry wood. If you've ever seen wood from the cherry tree, it's like a dark brown with red hints. That's what my hair looks like.

My gift certificate to Borders was harder to spend than I thought because - wouldn't you know it - this time when I went in, nothing jumped out at me right away. That's the funny thing about having money to spend. When you don't have it, you think of all the ways you could spend it, but when you do, you have trouble remembering everything that you wanted. Anyway, I very wisely settled on Mansfield Park and The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier that a friend recommended. I'm back into my book juggling and I'm excited about it. Right now I have those two plus A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and Atlas Shrugged. I might need to finish one soon because that's a lot even for me.

The past two days have been much better for me, emotionally. The only thing that's hard right now is that I have to tell my teacher Jill whether I want to study at UCSB should I not get in anywhere else. It's actually a huge dilemma for me and it comes down to whether I want to go to a second-rate school just because I really really want this career in music or whether I take ultimate rejection (hypothetically) as a sign that there's more in life that I should be doing. Really tough decision and scary since if I chose the second, I would have no idea what to do with my life. I know, I know, welcome to the real world of post-college graduates.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.