9:33 AM

Monday blues

Yes, I know for the rest of the world today is Friday which is generally a day of rejoicing, but I've had a crazy schedule this week with one day on, one day off, so yesterday might as well have been my Sunday. I think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today because I'm just feeling sad.

But, I have seen some great movies recently and they're all awesome for completely different reasons.

Movie A: Little Miss Sunshine
I was a little scared since it was hyped up so much, but it totally lived up to my expectations. Not only was the acting amazing, but the way that it was filmed was so original. I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie where they purposely don't show you the actors faces when they're having a conversation, but it was a really cool way to shoot it. Toni Collette rocks my world - she's one of those really versatile actresses that just takes whatever role she's given and put her whole self into it. The guy that played Dwayne was probably my second favorite, simply because he was so perfect as the angsty teenager. I also really liked the real time footage like at the beginning where they're all sitting down to dinner. It makes it feel like you're actually a part of the story as opposed to just seeing a series of events. Does that make sense? Anyway, I really liked it.

Movie B: Cars
What can I say? I love Pixar. Toy Story, Finding Nemo, the Incredibles are all on my list of favorites. I just think of how much time those creators put into making every second of film. Not to mention all of the little jokes that fly by if you're not catching them. Even the flies in this movie were cars and all of the towns had something to do with cars or roads. You would forget for a second that these were cars with no limbs or opposable thumbs or faces really. Makes you wonder how those lights get turned on an off... Okay, so the story was a little cheesy, but what do you expect from Disney? The animation and all the minute details in every single frame made it totally worth it.

Movie C: The Constant Gardener
I actually haven't finished this movie yet because I was exhausted last night and had to turn it off. But so far, the acting is incredible and it's so neat to see the film shot in a real village in Africa. I feel like other films take the 'best' parts of Africa and portray them as the slums. But the way this one is done makes it feel almost like a documentary. I'm getting a little lost in the dialogue, which is unfortunate since it's not the kind of movie that has a cut and dry plot. We'll see how the ending turns out.

In other news, I'm reading The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. SUCH a good book. I'm only about 200 pages into it, but I really like it. So if no one has started 100 years of Solitude, I suggest this one instead. The characters are so tangible and it's extremely well written. You have to like architecture or some sort of art form to feel the plight of the main character though.

0 comments: