11:03 AM

Mikhail Baryshnikov

I thought my job was going to be the most amazing one in the world when I saw his name on the table for the Summerdance Dinner and Party that was being held last night. Then I learned that the tables were just named after dancers and dance groups... It wasn't a completely empty hope; he had been to the Festival earlier this summer, but he wasn't at the dinner last night. If you don't know him as the best male dancer in the world, you would know him as Carrie's French or Russian boyfriend in Sex and the City in the last season. But he hates it when people refer to that (understandably so).

Aside from that disappointment, last night was a lot of fun because our restaurant turned into a catering party and I had to walk around with glasses of wine and mingled with Santa Barbara's elite society. It was an easy job - just keep the drinks coming - and everyone paid handsomely to have a fun evening. The party lasted from 8-12:30 complete with dance party at the end that the waiters all danced to as we were cleaning up. Sorry if this is boring, but it's my life right now and it was fun.

Since I was there from 4 to the end, I and some others had to take a half hour break and so the other new guy, David, and I went to a bar that was right next door. Hahaha. Yes, we drank on our half hour off and came back and finished cleaning up. Have I mentioned that I like working for a non-corporate restaurant??

Needless to say, since I got in at 1:30 after a very long shift at work, I didn't go to church this morning. But I can't see how someone can not go to church every week - I feel like my day isn't really complete. No matter how much you get out of it for that one hour, it's the satisfaction that you at least kept the Sabbath which somehow despite the old Bible language, really is important even today. I'm hoping that once I move downtown I can start exploring some of the churches, but I have to say that going to the Christian Science church for the past month has been such a blessing - I got a car, some lovely people to show me around Santa Barbara, and a lot of welcoming arms.

0 comments: