9:46 AM

So much to say

Well, I'm in California. I have so many mixed feelings but really I'm just getting settled in. I haven't quite started my program yet (we meet today at 4) so I haven't gotten a routine going. It's been great having my uncle, aunt and cousin here so that they can drive me around and take me to nice restaurants and generally just be here to distract me. Below is a list of pros and cons of taking this big step:

Pros:
1. California weather is amazing and it's been in the 80s with no humidity for the past four days.
2. I live 3 blocks from the beach and can go for runs up and down the coast any time I want.
3. I have a huge shower.
4. My teacher is super sweet and is like a second mother.
5. I will have my own practice room with a key so I can leave stuff in there.
6. I don't have to buy a bike - I get to borrow one from the girl that I'm subleasing from.
7. From going to church and meeting my uncle's client, I have 4 new "families" that are willing to do anything for me.
8. I have an avocado tree right next to my balcony.
9. Santa Barbara really is beautiful and nothing like the downtown of Charlotte - no building is over 3 stories high and they're all white stucco with red tile roofs.
10. There are so many cheap and wonderful restaurants nearby.
11. I have a huge kitchen.

Cons
1. I miss everything that's comfortable: family, Charlotte, my home, friends.
2. My roommate's boyfriend sleeps over in our room.
3. The area that my apartment is in is a party area. But then so is the entire college of UCSB apparently.
4. I don't have a car and Santa Barbara is very spread out.
5. I don't know my way around yet (something very fixable).

Well the pros far outweigh the cons, but it just takes me a while to feel comfortable in a new place, no matter how awesome it is. There's a lot to be grateful for and I know I was brought here for a reason, but I'm definitely outside of my comfort zone. Well, it's France all over but this time I can speak the language! Definite plus.

I feel like there are a million more things I could say, but I have to go make some phone calls, hang out with the fam, change, go to an interview, and go to my first flute meeting. The best thing about these days is that they are packed and I don't really have a whole lot of down time.

Letters and phone calls and emails are much appreciated :)

2 comments:

becca said...

horray for red tile roofs and stucco and beautiful coasts to run on! i love you babe, and miss you lots!

becca said...

um, that is from, me Christa, i accidently did it under becca's name bc she was logged in, oops!